- About Us
- Who We Service
- Get a Quote
Upholstery Cleaning: Different Sofa Fabrics and How to Care for Them Properly
There are quite literally thousands of sofas available for your home. Whether you want to create a chic, minimalist look in your living room, or a comfortable, traditional ambiance; there’s sure to be something out there suitable for your needs.
There are also plenty of fabric choices to select from; from leathers to velvets and from austere, plain material to wild, printed designs. Each fabric offers its own advantages and disadvantages. If you’re considering investing in a new sofa, or simply curious to know more about your existing one, here is a useful guide.
Sofa Fabrics: Advantages and Disadvantages
- Leather is a really prestigious, expensive-looking material. It also never seems to date, which is a real advantage in terms of longevity and value for money.
- Advantages: It’s a durable material and is fairly resistant to tearing. It’s also easy to brush crumbs and pet hairs off with a soft brush; and if you drop food on it, you don’t need to be so worried about staining.
- Disadvantages: Liquid spillage can occasionally be a problem, as some fluids will leave a stain. Leather sofas with arm-rests and back-rests sewn in can also prove problematic to clean properly.
- Cotton has the distinct advantage of versatility; and of course, comes in a huge range of different colors and prints. It also tends to be the more cost-effective option.
- Advantages: Cotton is soft, which can feel more pleasant to sit on, especially in the warmer months. If you buy printed fabric, this is less likely to show stains quite so badly (see below for more on this).
- Disadvantages: Cotton is notoriously bad for staining; and if you drop red wine or tomato sauce on it, you’ll have a stain for life (unless you act fast!). It’s also harder to remove pet hairs, as they often get stuck in the weft of the fabric.
- Velvet is incredibly soft and gives a fantastically opulent feel in your living room.
- Advantages: It’s often double-woven, which provides it with extra strength. It’s also one of the most comfortable fabrics to relax into after a long day at work.
- Disadvantages: Velvet is one of the worst fabrics for staining, and as a result, is not recommended for families with children or pets. In fact, most stains on velvet can only be removed with the help of a professional upholstery cleaner.
- Wool can be expensive, but also offers a very high-end look for the home. It creates a pleasant, traditional feel.
- Advantages: Wool is fairly easy to keep clean and can be either brushed down or vacuumed gently.
- Disadvantages: If you do have an accident with food or drink, stains are tricky to shift from wool.
Stained Sofa? Call the Tampa Bay Upholstery Cleaning Team – Gator Cleaning Solutions!
If you’re worried that your sofa is beyond redemption, wrecked by pet hairs, or stained beyond recognition, then it’s probably time to call in the experts. Gator Cleaning have state-of-the-art upholstery cleaning equipment, and we’ll get to work shifting tough stains and eradicating hairs and ground-in dirt, leaving you with a sofa that you can be proud of once more. To find out more, simply give us a call on 813-929-1122.
Erin is originally from Michigan and has a BS degree in Hospitality Management from Central Michigan University. After spending more than 10 years working for Pfizer Pharmaceuticals partnering with the medical community she decided to join the family business and put her strategic planning skills to work. Erin serves as Vice President of Operations and works to support the management team with new opportunities while maintaining the marketing and community outreach. Erin serves on several boards both within the Jan/San industry as well as with local non profits. She has completed several continuing education programs to include Certified Green Cleaning, Maintenance Executive Training along with Cleaning Management strategy courses.
- Allergies (8)
- Bathroom Cleaning (8)
- Bugs & Insect Cleaning (2)
- Business Advice (1)
- Carpet Care (16)
- Carpet Cleaning (28)
- Carpet Stain Removal (6)
- Commercial Cleaning (89)
- Commercial Medical Cleaning (13)
- Commercial Office Cleaning (34)
- Commercial Windows (5)
- Concrete Cleaning (6)
- Construction Cleanup (1)
- Eco-Friendly Cleaning (9)
- Fire Damage (8)
- Floor Care (19)
- Furniture Cleaning (2)
- Green Cleaning (9)
- Kitchen Cleaning (2)
- Medical Cleaning (20)
- Medical Office Cleaning (16)
- Mold Remediation (7)
- Office Cleaning (62)
- Residential Cleaning (22)
- Restaurant Cleaning (6)
- Rug Cleaning (2)
- School Cleaning (22)
- Stain Removal (4)
- Tile & Grout Cleaning (10)
- Tile Floor Care (9)
- Tiles Cleaning (13)
- Uncategorized (41)
- Water Damage (11)