- About Us
- Who We Service
- Get a Quote
Black Mold in the Bathroom: What is Black Mold and How Can You Get Rid of It?
Black mold is a common problem in the bathroom. It thrives in warm, moist environments, and once established, can be tricky to get rid of. It’s one of the most noticeable forms of mold, due to its dark coloration, and it can also pose a health problem if allowed to develop.
Black Mold: What Exactly Is It?
Black mold comes in two different varieties; Stachybotrys Atra, or Stachybotrys Chartarum. One is toxic and the other non-toxic, but as both are identical in appearance, it’s impossible to know which is in your bathroom, without running a series of laboratory tests. Unfortunately, it’s a fast growing mold, and once in place (often in the grouting between tiles) it spreads rapidly.
Black mold affects the respiratory system, and inhaling it can aggravate asthma symptoms and lead to breathing difficulties.
What Causes Black Mold in the Bathroom?
There are many reasons why your bathroom may have black mold. A few reasons include:
- Your bathroom is a naturally moist area, and being in Florida, it’s also often warm. The combination of heat and moisture are exactly what black mold needs to grow.
- If you’ve got a leaky pipe under the sink, or if your shower leaks, this provides perfect conditions for black mold to flourish.
- Florida is susceptible to flooding, and if your home has suffered flooding in the past, this raises your chances of having mold in the bathroom significantly, as it’s likely that you’ll be left with remaining moisture and damp from the event.
- Plants always look nice in the bathroom. However, when it comes to mold, they’re not your friends! Plants contribute to mold in the atmosphere, which again, helps black mold to develop.
- If your paintwork is peeling, then it’s possible that black mold is growing behind the paint, where you can’t see it. Unfortunately, because it’s out of sight doesn’t mean that its adverse health effects can’t still be experienced, as the spores it releases are airborne and easily breathed in.
How Can You Get Rid of Black Mold?
If you only have a little bit of black mold in your bathroom, you should be able to treat it yourself. However, you need to act quickly, as black mold spreads quickly, and once it begins to establish itself, it is far harder to get rid of. The most common technique is to scrape the mold away, then bleach the surface afterwards. Whilst this may work in the short-term, regrettably, it doesn’t stop the mold returning at a later point.
Generally, if your black mold has spread, or is particularly well-established (for example, around a leaking pipe) it is advisable to call an expert cleaning service; who can eradicate the mold problem whilst thoroughly cleaning your tiles and grouting.
Tampa Bay Residential Cleaning Experts: Get Rid of Black Mold Fast!
If you’ve got a problem with black mold, call Gator Cleaning Solutions today. We’re Tampa Bay’s leading mold restoration experts, and we also specialize in tile and grout cleaning. To get in touch about your black mold problems, simply call us on 813-929-1122.
Erin is originally from Michigan and has a BS degree in Hospitality Management from Central Michigan University. After spending more than 10 years working for Pfizer Pharmaceuticals partnering with the medical community she decided to join the family business and put her strategic planning skills to work. Erin serves as Vice President of Operations and works to support the management team with new opportunities while maintaining the marketing and community outreach. Erin serves on several boards both within the Jan/San industry as well as with local non profits. She has completed several continuing education programs to include Certified Green Cleaning, Maintenance Executive Training along with Cleaning Management strategy courses.
- Allergies (8)
- Bathroom Cleaning (8)
- Bugs & Insect Cleaning (2)
- Business Advice (1)
- Carpet Care (16)
- Carpet Cleaning (28)
- Carpet Stain Removal (6)
- Commercial Cleaning (89)
- Commercial Medical Cleaning (13)
- Commercial Office Cleaning (34)
- Commercial Windows (5)
- Concrete Cleaning (6)
- Construction Cleanup (1)
- Eco-Friendly Cleaning (9)
- Fire Damage (8)
- Floor Care (19)
- Furniture Cleaning (2)
- Green Cleaning (9)
- Kitchen Cleaning (2)
- Medical Cleaning (20)
- Medical Office Cleaning (16)
- Mold Remediation (7)
- Office Cleaning (62)
- Residential Cleaning (22)
- Restaurant Cleaning (6)
- Rug Cleaning (2)
- School Cleaning (22)
- Stain Removal (4)
- Tile & Grout Cleaning (10)
- Tile Floor Care (9)
- Tiles Cleaning (13)
- Uncategorized (41)
- Water Damage (11)